Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Process of Processed Foods

So the journey continues and I am 2 full weeks into limiting processed foods and felt the need to share some things about it. One of the first things you should know is that you may go through a detox/withdrawal period when coming off food that your body is used to: rice, pasta, sweets, caffeine, pork etc. I personally went through this last week and it went like this: exhausted, cranky, headaches, and one day where everything I ate tasted terrible!!! You will get past these days although it feels impossible at the time. I will be introducing BROWN rice and WHOLE WHEAT pasta back into my diet at some point, but for now I needed a full detox period (atleast 1 month) Another thing is that it is a slow process: like I said in the previous blog, I am making as much as I can homemade (HM) - which right now is everything except for ranch dressing - I make my own but I use mayo in it. Eventually I would like to make my own mayo and then it really will be all natural. Oh and I also don't make my own tortilla chips to go with my HM salsa and HM refried beans (and I doubt I ever will, unless I win the lottery and can hire a personal chef)! So wherever you are in the "process" remember this: Every Little Bit Helps. When you prepare things from scratch there are so many health benefits and you recieve many more nutrients than if it came in a package!!! It does take time and plenty of planning ahead, but it is worth it for me and my family to be healthy. Hope you are all enjoying this process as much as I am!!!

3 comments:

  1. Love it. We'll have to make homemade peanut butter, Matt loves it.

    I'm so glad you are blogging, this otherwise I'd miss out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are a few recipes that I've been making. My sister in law has a small silo worth of quinoa, which is super good for you.

    I made this first one and loved it, but it only tasted good fresh, definitely not as left overs the next day, but it's full of veggies and quinoa.

    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Avocado-Quinoa-Salad/Detail.aspx

    Also this one: a good substitute for rice and beans, but are you girls not doing canned beans of any kind? What are you doing in place of that?

    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quinoa-and-Black-Beans/Detail.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liv:can't wait to get into some quinoa...been reading all about it!!! As far as beans...I am cooking them myself from bagged dry beans!!! Sometimes I use the canned if I am in a rush!

    ReplyDelete